The library is an integral part of the curriculum at Mantua. Students have access to a wide variety of print and non-print resources.
Fiction and Non-Fiction Collection
Our extensive fiction collection contains the latest titles by popular children’s authors and a variety of picture books. Our goal is to select materials that support the curriculum and encourage a love of reading. An up-to-date non-fiction and reference section provides material for browsing and research projects. We believe that learning how to access and evaluate information is key to students becoming life-long learners. Computers and iPads are available for accessing online databases, reading digital books, and working on multimedia projects. Passwords for databases are not necessary at school, but if students want to access them from home, passwords and login information for digital books and databases can be found on the Mantua Library blackboard site: @Mantua Library.
ONLINE DATABASES AND E-BOOKS
Checking Out Books
Students come to the library for instruction and check-out on a regular basis. They may also stop by before (between 9:00 – 9:15 a.m.) or after (3:50-4:05 p.m.) school to renew or check-out books.
- All students and staff are automatically entered into the computerized checkout system.
- Check out time limits:
- Students may check out books for a period of two weeks.
- A book may be renewed for another two weeks as long as no one else has requested a hold on the book.
- Back issues of magazines may be checked out.
- Overdue notices are distributed to teachers quarterly.
- Fines: There are no fines, but books should be returned promptly so that other students may use them.
- Students who lose or damage library materials will be charged the replacement cost.
- No student may check out books for another student.
Check-out book limits* are as follows:
- Kindergarten - 3 books
- First and Second Grade - 5 books
- Grades 3 through 6 - Unlimited (Students must be able to safely transport books between home and school in their backpacks.)
*Only two books in a series or on a topic may be checked out at a time unless students are working on a specific project for school.
Parent volunteers are always welcome in the library. We circulate thousands of books each month, so help with shelving is especially appreciated. For more information contact the library staff at 703-645-6322.